Starting out your career in project management can be difficult. If you are looking for a job as a project manager, you will want to go into the market armed with career tips that will help you land your dream job. If you follow these tips, you will be well on your way to achieving your goal.
1. Be prepared -- The number one tip that every job seeker should follow is be prepared. Be prepared for your job interview. How do you prepare for an interview? Do your research on the company you are interviewing with and be prepared to ask questions about the company and the job as well as answer questions about your relevant education and experience.
2. Be ready -- You should be ready to interview at all times and consider all networking encounters as a prospective job interview. Always be armed with resumes and business cards to pass out whenever the moment presents itself. If you do not have business cards because you are still in school or presently not employed then have cards made up with your name and contact information.
3. Get experience -- Having valuable and current experience is vital. If you are still in school you may need to come up with inventive ways to attain experience as a project manager. You can do this by seeking out opportunities on campus or in clubs. Otherwise, getting a part time job or even volunteer work is a great way to gain experience in your field.
4. Network -- Networking is the best way to find a job in the field of project management. You want to network anytime you can. Whether you network at a formal networking club for project managers or online via social media, getting your name out there and that you looking for a job is the best way to find your next job.
5. Be positive -- During times when the market is tough and job hunting is challenging, it can be difficult to stay positive. However, if you have a negative attitude it will reflect in everything you do. Staying positive will come through in your interviews as well as your networking. This will make you stand out from the crowd and could make all the difference when a potential employer is calling in job seekers to interview for a job. Staying positive can be essential to securing your next job.
This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1