PMI certifies project team members as Certified Associate in Project Management, or CAPMs. The certification process requires a candidate to document their work experience and pass an on-line exam.
The CAPM Certification Requirements:
- High school diploma,
- 1500 hours of work on a project team, or 23 hours of project management education.
- Exam Fee: $225.00 for PMI members and $300.00 for non-members
The CAPM exam:
- 150 Questions.
- 3 hours duration
Most of the CAPM questions are direct and related to process input, tools and outputs.
Project Management Professional (PMP)
PMI certifies project managers who lead and direct project teams as professionals, or PMPs. The certification process requires a candidate to document their work experience and pass an on-line exam.
The PMP Certification Requirements:
- Category 1: Bachelor's degree
- Category 2: High school diplomat.
- Required project management experience:
- Category 1: 4,500 hours (3 years)
- Category 2: 7,500 hours (5 years).
- Project management education: 35 hours
- 200 Questions
- 4 hours duration
- Exam Fee: $405.00 for PMI members and $555.00 for non-members.
The exam is much more difficult, and the questions usually indirect, deep and come with several scenarios.