Web Development Project Approach Advice

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
christopharris

Hi,

I am new to project management and building practical experience, but I have been asked to manage a project for an existing web based system, to develop its functionality. This would be part of a larger programme but I am not sure what approach to take or how I would go about setting this up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Christopharris,

I would suggest adopting an agile approach. In my software development projects, a sprint usually represents a single software feature, a module if you like. I go all out the help my team deliver the new module or feature. There are usually some bug fixes and minor changes in the backlog, and I regard the delivery of these as a bonus.

In terms of tools, I'm using Microsoft Azure DevOps to plan the work, provide developer services, collaborate on code development, and build and deploy applications. For reporting status, keeping organised and assigning tasks, I'm using Evernote. Microsoft Excel is invaluable for managing the project budget and creating simple milestone plans.

In managing customer expectations and reporting progress, you can read about my approach in a recent article I've written, The Secret to More Effective Project Progress Reports: Live Minutes.

I hope this helps.
mk700

Thank you, dhaughey! It helped me a lot as well!