I am head of a bioinformatics/biostatistics unit at a biomedical research center. I have been trained as statistician and bioinformatician, but I have no experience in project management.
I lead a team of five technicians who do "studies" that I need to manage. A brief description of these studies is as follows:
Most of the time they consist of some data analysis and are done follow a standardized process:
- Interview/Service request-->
- Study Proposal -->[After 1-3 weeks]-->
- Do study -->
- Write Report -->
- Present to customer
- Usually one study can take from 2 to 4 weeks. Extraordinarily this can be more
- Every technician can be working on 2 to 4 studies simultaneously
- It is possible but unusual that two or more technicians are involved in the same study
I have looked for project management tools. I have looked at courses (in Coursera), books, templates, but I am overwhelmed by lots of information that I can't prioritize well. Besides this, most of the things I look at seem to suggest that "projects" are something bigger than my "studies", but I do not find where these "small-sized-projects" should fit.
Ideally, I would like to have some tool -preferably free- that could be used on the web with any OS (we work mostly with Linux, but we also have some Mac or Windows users). In any case, I am open to any suggestion :-)
Thanks in advance for the help.