New here and have some questions.

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Deeezy

Hello PM Community

I am very interested in a career as a PM but have some questions I would like to ask and hopefully get answered.

1. What kind of college degree would I need to received in order to become a PM, cause I am currently working towards my Business Administration Degree and was wondering if that would be applicable? Or would I need a degree in Computer Information Systems?

2. I was also wondering would I need to know how to use computer language such as Java, CSS, and other computer languages to be applicable to become a PM?

3. Also I am not the greatest in writing in English would that be a problem towards me becoming a PM as well?
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Deeezy,

Welcome to the board.

Here are some answers from my experience as an IT project manager:
1. What kind of college degree would I need to received in order to become a PM, cause I am currently working towards my Business Administration Degree and was wondering if that would be applicable? Or would I need a degree in Computer Information Systems?
A general business management degree is applicable to project management. Although you don't say so, I deduce that you are looking to become an IT project manager. The rigour and dedication needed to obtain a degree says a lot about you and often the subject is not as important. Knowledge of Information Systems would be useful but is not essential. It's that age old question about whether project managers need to be technically savvy.
2. I was also wondering would I need to know how to use computer language such as Java, CSS, and other computer languages to be applicable to become a PM?
A guiding principle of being a project manager is that you don't do the work, you manage the project. So no, you don't need to know computer languages to become a PM.
3. Also I am not the greatest in writing in English would that be a problem towards me becoming a PM as well?
This is more of a barrier as project managers are required to produce documentation that provides a compelling case to support their projects. This is something you can get help with and develop. You could try using an editing and proofreading service such as Kibin. They are relatively low cost, and you can pick up many tips on the use of language, composition and grammar this way.

Hope this helps.

Duncan