How to get into Project Management

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Gee_ess

Hello

I am looking into switching careers (currently a coordinator) and seeking guidance for the most efficient route to project management in the UK.

I have done some research online and contacted agencies and I am getting mixed messages as online suggests Prince2 foundation but an agency consultant suggested that this is out dated and should look into ' Praxis' instead. Of course neither of the courses are free.

I was hoping for some guidance and possibly first hand experience of those who have recently got into project management.

Thank you for your time.
GS
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi GS,

I suggest looking into agile project management methods, such as Scrum. Nearly all the project managers I work with practice Scrum.The APM's website has some helpful information about agile project management.

Duncan
Gee_ess

Thank you Duncan

I will look into Scrum.

If I want to book Prince2 foundation and practitioners, is it best cost wise to book together or separately and should there be a gap between both courses?

Thanks
GS
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi GS,

It has been quite a while since I did PRINCE2. As I recall, I booked both foundation and practitioner together. Perhaps somebody who has done the PRINCE2 recently can comment?

My advice is to read up on the topic thoroughly before the course. It helped understanding the terminology and broad approach.

Duncan
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi GS,

May I suggest you look at my latest article, Is Project Management a Good Career Choice?. I've included a few thoughts on obtaining a PM qualification.

Duncan