Best Certification For Me?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kittysoman2013

Hi,

I work as an engineer in a very niche industry. I have managed small projects in my current role, and it is something I would like to pursue more. However, I'm not sure what exam I should take. It seems Prince2 is very popular in the UK, but is it really in demand and open up job opportunities?

Another option I'm looking at is Lean Six Sigma Black Belt - this has the project management element, but also the continuous improvement core. Would something like that certification open up more doors for me?

I'm looking for something that is the best bang for your buck certification- something to put on the CV. The experience element I can get in my current role.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Soman,

I think people tend to worry too much about which qualification to get. I think any recognised qualification will serve you well. When interviewing for a project manager, I would look for three things. They understand the principles of project management; can demonstrate that they have applied them successfully and a recognised qualification to back that up.

The only exception, is where you know which organisation you will be joining or are targeting and they have a preferred qualification.

I hope this helps.

Duncan
simonbuehring

Soman

I would tend to agree with Duncan. Skills and experience are always preferred to qualifications. However, the thing about qualifications is that they do provide you with an understanding of how project managment SHOULD be done, as opposed to how it is often done in practice. The 2 things are usually very different in my opinion. Project management qualifications always do look good on your CV because they show employers that you want to improve your understanding and skills. On their own however, they are unlikely to get you a job. I wrote an article which summarized all the main project management qualifications, so perhaps that might help you choose.
danwan337
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

In my opinion, any certification would help you as long as you enjoy doing it. It's always said, if you enjoy your work, you don't work a single day. Since you are already into project management, are you keen to further explore or change the domain for a change? Qualifications and degrees will only give you a basic understanding, but if you don't have any practical knowledge, then it's no point. I would advise you to choose courses and certifications as per your career aspirations.
Belmont

kittysoman2013 wrote: Thu 21 May 2020 9:12 pm Would something like that certification open up more doors for me?

I'm looking for something that is the best bang for your buck certification- something to put on the CV. The experience element I can get in my current role.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
You've answered your own question. I'm not sure where you are located, but I wouldn't even worry about a certification in your case. If anything, I would go for the easiest one. Agile Foundation, probably.

Why? I made the mistake of going into project management without looking at the job market first. I have done my PRINCE2 Foundation, Agile Foundation, BA Foundation, but not a single job advert will ask you if you're qualified. All they want is experience, which you already have. A cert doesn't matter. If you have no experience, it's a catch 22.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tend to agree, skills and experience often count more than certifications. My team are interviewing for a programme manager and there is no mention of certifications in the interview brief. We need somebody that can hit the ground running. I don’t think certifications guarantee a person can hit the ground running as much as a good level of experience on real world programmes and projects.
Sahana

Hi Soman,

Good day.

In this competitive world, we needs to upgrade our skills on a regular basis. Every job has too much to learn, every industry has too much to explore.
I would suggest you to do "Agile Certified Practitioner" from PMI as I have seem this helping many people from my family and friend circle.

I recently posted about "Agile in Project Management". I can refer you to an Informative free Webinar about this, you can register through this link https://redlearning.ae/webinar-agile-in-project-management/

If you think this can benefit and add value to your resume kindly go ahead and take training and certification. If not, its still an useful information to know about and you can keep educating people around you.

Some basic info about Agile here:
  • Method of Project Management applied to execute complicated projects by breaking in to smaller tasks and sub tasks called iterations.
  • Iterative approach helps prioritizing tasks with frequent assessments, adjustments and change adaptation.
  • Agile Manifesto with 4 Values and 12 Principles teaches about the people and the process excellent manner to deliver projects with utmost accuracy.