Young Project planner

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Xtrykr

Hello there! I'm Raul. I wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding my future. I'm 22 and studying mechanical engineering at university. I want to be a project planner. My father's a project planner too but he went about it a different way and doesn't necessarily know what steps I would need to take to get to his stage. (I already know how to use Primavera, Asta and Microsoft Project)

Q1: If I wish to do a placement after my second year, what type of field should I get into that correlates well with project planning?
Q2: What extra-curricular skills should I possess that would help me become a better project planner?

Last but not least...

Q3: What's it like? Enjoyable? Boring? Lots of paperwork? Is there a future in project planning where I get my own desk and an office that opens to the wondrous view of Buckingham palace?

Thank you for your time! Hope to get enlightened in any way possible!
jayashree
Expert Member
Expert Member

To go with a project planner career, first of all you should make sure you get sufficient knowledge about that field before going about with it.