PRINCE2 Agile!! Recommended or Not?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
jayman21

Hello All,

I am looking to get certified in Agile, but I see that there are a few Agile related certification in the market. Can you advise which are most preferable and relevant in the industry? My background is software development and business change as a business analyst/project manager.
  1. Agile Project Management - PRINCE2 Agile
  2. Agile (BCS): Foundation and Practitioner
  3. Certified ScrumMaster
  4. PMI Agile Certified Practitioner
I am leaning towards the PRINCE2 Agile. I need you advise as I need to make sure the choice I go with not only exposes my to agile in detail but is also recognized by employers in the industry.

Thanks
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Jayman21,

I can't comment on all the courses you have mentioned, but I have taken the Certified ScrumMaster course and found it a very useful introduction to agile. I've since used the method to run projects with great success. Customers welcome a more agile approach to software development.

Many of my colleagues are taking PRINCE2 Practitioner. It is viewed very favourably in my organisation and many others I know.

Duncan
jayman21

Thanks Duncan for your comments. The Prince2 Practitioner is very popular and required in the industry. My understanding is that you need to pass the Prince2 Practitioner before you can attempt the Prince2 Agile. But am not sure if the Prince2 Agile is restricted / popular in use within Europe like the Prince2 or known and applied internationally.

For some reason and looking into the industry the Certified ScrumMaster seems to have piped down in popularity though still in good use.

I am really keen to hear from others as well.
jayman21

Hello All, am still waiting to hear from others who may have taken the Prince2 Agile exam or have utilized the concept on live projects.

Thanks and look forward to responses.
PawanDwivedi

Dear Jayman,

For me Agile (BCS): Foundation and Practitioner are the best. My brother has recently completed this course with online course provider Excelr Solutions and has already got some job offers.

Regards.
jayman21

Thanks for sharing PawanDwivedi.
jayashree
Expert Member
Expert Member

Agile is still having its market value and it can be taken up for your studies.
PatrickJKelly

PRINCE2 Agile:
- I don't really see the point and the exam does not make any sense (no logic in exam Q&A)
- They should have just given an example of how PRINCE2 can be used in an agile way.
- You also need to have the Practitioner Certification before you can take this exam :-(

AgilePM:
- This is an excellent Agile course from DSDM. I would recommend it
- This is the original Agile Certification

Exin Agile Scrum:
- A lighter course than AgilePM but still a good course
- Perhaps a good course to do first

I don't know much about the rest mentioned in the first page: Agile-BCS, CSM, PMI Agile
The PSM I cert from Scrum.org also seems to be very popular and exam can be taken online (Note: this is just Scrum)
jayman21

Thanks all for your feedback on this.