Project Manager OR Business Analyst, which is more progressive and lucrative?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
adamt

Between a career as a Project Manager and as a Business Analyst, which has the most room for progression and most lucrative?
TonyD
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

This is easily answered by just Googling job careers and salary. The real question you should be asking yourself is which do you have more passion for. You can chase the money, but you won't last if you're doing something that you have no passion and zest for. At the very least, even if you do last, you will be miserable. I've learned that it's better to do something you're passionate about and naturally you will become good at it because you're willing to pay the price. Also, usually if you're good or excel at something, you will be paid better, and even if you're not paid well at least you'll be happy.

PM work is the type of work that will burn you out quickly or expose you if you don't enjoy it IMHO. It's not the type of job for those looking to just do enough to get by or those clock watching types. You are expected to put in long hours and overtime when the project is at implementation, late on delivery or nearing its end.
"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Benjamin Franklin
jayman21

I agree with TonyD on this one. It all depends on your passion and interest. In the wrong career path you can easily burn out. I would advise that you attend conference workshops covering PM and BA, get to meet people in the profession and speak to them to understand more. As for my I am currently a hybrid and that's because I like to bounce between a PM and BA. But this does not work for everyone.

All the best.
SMARTGoalsProject

I think it depends on where you are at with your career. If you're young, I would recommend someone start as a project manager. You learn how to drive teams, get clarity on requirements, and understand business financials. Plus, youth is important. It's a lot of work to get projects moving in the right direction. In addition to learning to deal with all different personalities. Once you have mastered that skill, I believe that person makes a better business analysis. It's real.

I just consider in my career when I work with a company. It's the experience and strategies of years of success and failures. I wouldn't be able to analyse and help a business without the background of driving products and teams. So may answer depends on the goal and the age of the person asking. Interesting question.
Brian Dawson
e: brian@smartgoalsproject.com
Gaur

I have not seen job opening for "Business Analyst" in small company, but you will always find opening for project manager.
begeland

I would head the PM route. Many more postings are for PMs than BAs. And if you are a technically inclined PM, you can work both jobs, basically. Plus, you'll likely find that the smaller organizations are hoping to find just that. A PM that can fill the PM role on big projects and both roles on the smaller projects.