Define project management in one word

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Accountability

I am a big Fan of the RACI (responsibilities matrix) tool and this defines who 'the buck stops with' for each work package, the accountability for its completion. As long as the Accountability for the work package is with the most appropriate party, and the role communicated to them early on by the PM, then failure of that work package falls with that party, not PM.

Thoughts?
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

My one word is 'delivery'. Project management is about delivering on time, budget and to the expected level of quality. I would go as far to say that stakeholders don't care how you get there as long as you deliver a successful project. Assuming it's not unethical or illegal.

Kit, to your point about accountability for a work package. I don't think as project manager; you can abdicate accountability for a work package. The person may be accountable to you as PM, but you remain accountable to your stakeholders.

Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

dhaughey wrote:My one word is 'delivery'. Project management is about delivering on time, budget and to the expected level of quality. I would go as far to say that stakeholders don't care how you get there as long as you deliver a successful project. Assuming it's not unethical or illegal.

Kit, to your point about accountability for a work package. I don't think as project manager; you can abdicate accountability for a work package. The person may be accountable to you as PM, but you remain accountable to your stakeholders.

Duncan
Valid comment.

Having the ability to show Stakeholders there was accountability in place for a work package, does go a long way to verify the credibility of your project delivery service.