Web Development Project Approach Advice

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
cabotine

Hi,

I am new to project management and building practical experience, but I have been asked to manage a project for an existing web based system, to develop its functionality. This would be part of a larger programme but I am not sure what approach to take or how I would go about setting this up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

I feel you need the below two core components of project management:

1) A well defined project scope
2) A robust project plan

Project Scope:

You need to concisely define the scope of your project first. What website functionality are you going develop and deliver? You project needs to give an output (deliverable) which will be strategically aligned to the outcome of the programme. What is the programme trying to achieve and how will your project output benefit the programme?

You need to set expectations as to what your project will deliver and how will this output interface with the existing website; along with the benefits your project will add to the website. Clearly, the output of your project needs to be technically verified too.

Project Plan:

Duncan has written an effective article on creating projects plans:

http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/guide-to- ... edule.html

The project plan is used for checking progress, setting stakeholder expectations, articulating milestones in the project, and in this case letting the programme manager know when they should expect your project output. Remember, the programme manager will be keen to monitor your projects progress as it is contributing to their programme.

Many thanks,
Kit.
cabotine

Hi Kit,

Many thanks for your advice and it is a good starting point to look at the scope and expectations. One last thing, do you have any idea how I should approach setting this up, bearing in mind this is for an existing system?

Much appreciated.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

cabotine wrote:Hi Kit,

Many thanks for your advice and it is a good starting point to look at the scope and expectations. One last thing, do you have any idea how I should approach setting this up, bearing in mind this is for an existing system?

Much appreciated.

My pleasure.

Firstly, approach the programme manager with your proposal, highlighting the scope of your project, and get some formal commitment from them.You need to get commitment that if you deliver the project you are proposing successfully, it's deliverable will truly add tangible benefit to the website. There is clearly no point in putting in a lot of effort to find out that it is all in vein.

I would draft a project scope (what will be included and what will not) and then send this to the programme manager / Sponsor. I would then follow this up with a meeting (or even phone call) to discuss your proposed project; with the objective of getting your projects scope approved by the end of the meeting.

Ultimately, get some 'buy in' from the programme manager / Sponsor before you proceed with executing the project.

Good luck,
Kit.
cabotine

Hi Kit,

This makes a lot of sense and is a perfect approach! Clearly I am a long way from being at your level of expertise, but no doubt this will come with confidence. Thanks again

Kind regards
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

cabotine wrote:Hi Kit,

This makes a lot of sense and is a perfect approach! Clearly I am a long way from being at your level of expertise, but no doubt this will come with and confidence. Thanks again

Kind regards

No bother at all.

To be fair, there are far more experienced PM's on the forum than myself. I would be keen to see what advice they have for you too. All the best, Kit.