Project Management Training - Power Engineering/Utilities

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
james83anderson

Good Morning,

I am currently in the process of leaving the Armed Forces, i have a offer for a project engineer role leading to a project management position and my new employer would like me to undertake some formal project management training to get me up to speed when i start. The industry is Power engineer, High voltage Transmission systems and the possibility of Wind farm construction and management. I have been told that Prince2 is specific to IT projects, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on specific courses that would help me with PM in the utilities industry? I have been advised courses that included training in specific areas such as:
  • Commercial Awareness
  • Contract Law
  • Communication skills
  • Planning
Although I believe Prince2 would not be a bad course to do the above are key elements that I will need for real application on EPC projects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
James
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi James,

PRINCE2 can be used for any project type in any industry. PRINCE2 training will give you a solid framework for managing projects, but does lack the depth of something like the PMI's Project Management Professional certification.

From your description, it sounds like you need one or more courses to give you a solid grounding in key aspects of project management. I'd suggest a review of training providers that offer such courses - Learning Tree, QA, ESI and the like.

I've heard the Association for Project Management (APM) training courses are good, although I've no first hand experience. It's worth looking at these.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
james83anderson

Duncan,

Thanks for your response to my previous thread. I will have a look into these options further,

Kind Regards

James