Earned Value Management

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How often do you apply Earned Value Management to your projects to measure progress?

I am trying to get my head around the beast that is EVM and I have heard that it is not often applied in real life but instead just relevant for the APMP or PMP exam. I can see the value of EVM and I am keen to see how often people use it in real life projects.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Anyone?
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi there,

Quite often, EVM is part of a reporting system that evaluates progress against pre-established forscasts. The frequency of using EVM can be thought to be linked to how often a progress report is required. Therefore, this approach combines well with forecasting and reporting.

Another issue to consider is that EVM helps effectvie project control. It allows you to measure project performance against a referecne point, while it offers you the option to take corrective action ex-ante. In this respect, EVM allows you to be proactive in terms of tracking the progress of cost and time in a given project situation.

Wishing you a good rest of the weekend
Mohamed Benmerikhi
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Forgot a little something:

EVM is also more of an approach that stakeholders integrate into the reporting system. It seems to reassure them that things are evolving according to their predictions or initial conditions.

Mohamed Benmerikhi
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks Mohammed, helpful response. :)