Know Your Resources

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
satisfaction_uk

I believe that it would be very useful for project managers who are contemplating setting up a project or series of project to visit the personnel department and plough through their records on employees. There is a wealth of skills related information within the employees CV's, which can be very useful when allocating tasks.

My second step would be to sit down with employees and discuss what skills they have. Many employees have hobbies, outside interests and skills gained in other employment fields that may prove to be highly beneficial to the project if tapped into.
TedAldrin

Hello,

The title of the thread “Know Your Resources” says it all for me. The description which is given by you is also appropriate in a sense, but times have changed. The time frame in which we have to know about the resources we have is getting shorter and shorter. So we have to be quick on our feet when selecting the right resources for the right project. If we go by the pre-established methods of allocating resources on a project I might dare say it would be time consuming.

So why not have an automated solution for this. Automated solutions can perform the same in less time and with more efficiency, not to mention with fewer errors. I have been using some of them of late and they haven’t failed me. You just have to filter the right resource for you and the software would pop-up a whole list of resources for that particular need in no time.

So going with the flow, I would suggest rather having an automated solution than to waste your time selecting a few from a bunch of many.
jayh121

I agree Ted, an automated system would be far more efficient, and probably more effective in the long term. Has this been implemented?

"Impossible is nothing"
Telgen101

Getting the appropriate resources/people is an important requirement in project management. It's difficult to get a task done if the people working for you do not possess the skills and capabilities that the project requires.
johnbi

Great discussion here.

It pays to know what you have. You might not know you are not utilizing the full potential of your workforce. It pays to brainstorm or just taking the extra effort to get to know everyone well.