Change of Career From IT into Project Management

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
scedward

Hi Guys/Gals

I'm currently looking into attending a prince2 foundation and practictioners course (5 days) as I'm interested in Project Management.

I've worked within the IT industry for the last 10 years within service and support and have liasied with several different project teams and feel I have what it takes to succeed.

My question is as I have no relevent experience within project management, once I have obtained the prince2 practitioner qualification, how difficult is it to have recruiters consider you without any on the job experience?

Thanks in advance!
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi there,

If you look at nearly all PM jobs they will state that experience is required. I would look for a Project Controller job and work up from there. I am a Project Controller, doing my Prince2, and then using the experience from Project Controling to then PM. Think about it, who is going to give someone a PM job who is not experienced in running projects? If the PM is not up to the job then the project will likely fail. There is way too much risk putting someone with no experince in a PM role. I just cannot see you getting a PM role without project running experience or exposure.

I am in a similar position mate; needing experience of projects that is!

I would highly recommend reading this, it is a easy to understand Prince2 syllabus (inc test at the end of each chapter:

http://mgmtplaza.com/elearn/files/Intro ... RINCE2.pdf
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

what IT job you in currently too? Networking or software? My company supports networks, MPLS, LAN's routers etc.
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

It is a rather pertinent question. I believe getting into the profession of project managmeent straight after getting the qualification may not be so easy, but perhaps applying for a PM related position which does not require experience may be a good start.
projectmgmt

Changing careers into project management has become increasingly popular over the last five years - I think we can thank the dominance of PRINCE2 for highlighting project management as a career of choice however as previous posts have stated - having P2 alone won't open the door because there are too many other people also banging on that door - people who do have the experience as well as the accreditation

I did a presentation at Project Challenge a couple of months ago about Getting into Project Management - there might be some useful ideas there for you Getting into Project Management. We also have some careers advice pages for career changes like yourself too Career Changers - Project Management

Good luck!
@projectmgmt
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi there,

Pragmatically speaking, an entry into the profession of Project Management requires an understanding of the basic fundamentals. However, to start with, even an admin position in a project environment can be a good start and a stimulating experience. Soon after that, one would come to terms with the fact that the accumulation of tacit knowledge becomes almost a pre-requisite to professionalisation in any functional area.

Wishing you luck
Mohamed Benmerikhi
simonclark

i3666 wrote:Hi there,

If you look at nearly all PM jobs they will state that experience is required. I would look for a Project Controller job and work up from there. I am a Project Controller, doing my Prince2, and then using the experience from Project Controling to then PM. Think about it, who is going to give someone a PM job who is not experienced in running projects? If the PM is not up to the job then the project will likely fail. There is way too much risk putting someone with no experince in a PM role. I just cannot see you getting a PM role without project running experience or exposure.

I am in a similar position mate; needing experience of projects that is!

I would highly recommend reading this, it is a easy to understand Prince2 syllabus (inc test at the end of each chapter:

http://mgmtplaza.com/elearn/files/Intro ... RINCE2.pdf

yes you are right ...work in every field they want experience ...but scadward has lot of experience in IT field .....so he can easily become project manager or project controller because he has 10 years of experience of industry.....every good company keep him as a employee very easily ....with open hand .