A graduate trying to get into PM

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
amorkos

Hi guys!

I am business management student just about to graduate from university. Throughout the year I have been trying to look at particular job areas that interest me, I have looked at accounting, banking, marketing, trading and many more, but the one that interests me the most is project management. It can be widely used in different industries and it matches my skill base the most. However I am finding it tough to actually find many trainee/junior project management jobs, especially roles that do not require a PM degree or a degree in construction/engineering/surveying. I understand that project management covers a wide area of jobs including public sector and IT, it looks to me that IT is employing the most people at the moment. Ideally I would like to get into the construction industry, but it looks the toughest to get into at the moment, especially with little relevant experience.

My question to you guys is, how do I get into PM? Shall I take a PM course and hope that it makes me more employable? Or a course that is related to the construction or the IT sector? Or shall I just keep applying for jobs in the hope that something will come up soon?

Any information on where to look or what courses to take would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Anthony.
mattshearer

Hi Anthony,
I am not in the construction industry, but I would advise looking for apprenticeships.
These folks look like they may be able to offer some advice, and let you know about relevant training: http://www.ecitb.org.uk/Regions/SouthEastEast/

My route into project management was not orthadox, or based on PM training - I'd advise looking for the firm you'd most like to be with, go meet them, and find out about all possible ways to get into that firm. And don't let anyone put you off.

In the meantime, pick people's brains and read up on PM.

m