PRINCE2 for PMPs

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Rajesh

Hello,

I would like to take your suggestions on preparing for PRINCE2 for PMP professionals.

Preparation time - As PRINCE2 has some similarities, a PMP professional may pick up easily. Could you please tell me an approximate preparation time from start to taking the exam?

Books - I used Rita Mulcahy for PMP. I found it useful. Is there a similar self study book for PRINCE2? Or is there a bridge book exclusively for PRINCE2 for PMP professionals?

Online preparation course - Most of the online courses for Foundation and Practitioner extremely expensive. Could you suggest me a value for money course.

Mock Exam simulator - I used several iphone applications for mock exams. I paid an average of £10.00 for applications. Could you please suggest me some simulators.

I feel that PMP has more learning resources than PRINCE2. Is that right or am i missing the right search words.

Thanks,
Rajesh
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Rajesh,

A book I would recommend is Colin Bentley's PRINCE2 Revealed (2nd edition). It provides a very good overview of the PRINCE2 method in a simpler format than the PRINCE2 Manual, which is rather dry. There is a PRINCE2 for Dummies book available, but I've not read it. I'm not sure there is a PMP/PRINCE2 bridge book because the qualifications are quite different.

I took a public course and passed my PRINCE2 Practitioner in 5 days. A colleague who decided to self-study failed, but passed at the second attempt. I guess the course gives you structured learning and takes you away from everyday distractions. I suggest a weeks intensive learning is the minimum you need.

I've never found any worthwhile PRINCE2 exam simulators. It's worth trying to get hold of past papers and reviewing them so you know what to expect. I found that approach useful.

One final note: PRINCE2 Practitioner is far easier to obtain than the PMP, so in my opinion its value is not as high. You can learn PRINCE2 from a book, while the PMP requires a depth of knowledge and experience you can't get from a book. However, some companies sipulate it as a job requirement if they are a PRINCE2 house, so that's its value.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck!
Duncan
Rajesh

Thanks Duncan!
Its very encouraging!
May I know where i can look for past exam papers.
You have mentioned the preparation time for Practioner. May I know the approx preparation time for Foundation?

Regards,
Rajesh
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Rajesh

Glad to be of help.

Try this site for exam questions and answers to test your knowledge:

http://www.afaprojects.com/s83/PRINCE2- ... swers.html

With intensive learning I'd estimate 2-3 days for just the Foundation exam. It really depends on how quickly you absorb knowledge. I know people who've studied and passed in two days.

Passing the exam is one thing, but it's really about how you apply what you have learnt. I've met some very good project managers that weren't qualified and some awful ones that had a lot of qualifications. That's where the PMP scores over PRINCE2 - PMP needs practical hands-on experience and the application of good project management principles.

Thanks,
Duncan