PM-where to begin?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Musicolo

Dear all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a suggestion or two on the following.

I am applying for MSc in PM and have been asked to submit an essay, two-three pages long, critical analysis of a project relating to the issue of a "team, the formation of the team and its effectiveness". I also have to outline a relevant theory for my analysis and must reference it to my source.

Can someone suggest how I should go about this? What literature should I consult and any particular theory that I should base my analysis on?

Thank you all so much.
Best regards
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Musicolo

I would start by looking at PRINCE2 and PMBOK in terms of project management theory.

From my college days I remember Bruce Tuckman's Forming Storming Norming Performing team-development model. There's a good explanation of the model on BusinessBalls. Also have a look at Belbin Team types, which looks at how individuals behave in a team environment.

This is a good article on team building, Five Steps to a Winning Project Team.

Hope this helps

Duncan
elizabethblogs
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

Hi Duncan,

Fascinating! Thank you for the links, particularly to Belbin Team types. I'd say I'm probably a 'Completer Finisher'.

We offer effective team-building training, and I must say it's an area I find very interesting indeed. However good your plan, and however skilled the individuals working on your project, if they don't get along together or work well as a unit, things are bound to start falling apart...

Best wishes,
Elizabeth
Course Administrator
Knowledge Train