You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen

This forum is for members to share book reviews. All of us buy and read business books. Some are good and others a waste of money, so don't be shy; let us know what you think about the books you’ve read.
satisfactionuk
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi,
This is the latest book to my collection and admittedly I have not yet delved deeply into its chapters. However, browsing through the pages I can see that this book builds on the lessons learnt from the book Getting What You Want by Quentin De. La Dedoyere which is reviewed below.

Part one of the book explains the principles and puts negotiation into context. Part two looks at how power and time constrictions affects the mode of negotiation. Having learnt these lessons part three covers the predetermined objectives and styles of negotiation while part four focuses on indirect non face-to-face negotiations and rounds everything up by taking a look at your own attitude towards negotiating.

The book is crammed full of situational case studies and examples which suggest quite a lot of light heated rote learning and practice in order to really polish the skills that are required to make you a professional negotiator.

From the synopsis on the front flyer:
Your real world is a giant negotiating table, and like it or not, your a negotiator. How you handle your daily encounters with other people in your personal and business life determines whether you prosper happily or suffer frustration and loss.

This book will give you the power to manage and direct your life - to what you want. It will show you what to do and how to do it.

From parent-child relationships to complex international dealings, negotiating is always taking place. It's a process that you can understand and predict. It's a practical skill that you can learn, to increase the satisfaction youi derive from life and improve your winning percentage.

In the pages of You Can Negotiate Anything, Herb Cohen sets out specific approaches for dealing with your mate, your boss, your department store, your banker, your children, your lawyer, your best friends, and even yourself. You Can Negotiate Anything offers a fresh sensible, and helpful look at your reality.

This book deals with negotiation the way it is practiced, not preached. Without becoming mired in technical terminology or legalese, Herb Cohen will teach you the Win-Win approach and will expose Win-Lose tactics. You need no longer be an unsuspecting victim in dealing with the people in your world.

As I said above, I have not delved deeply into the book yet but from what I have read so far it appears the author has more than adequately covered the things claimed and promised above with a good sense of humour.

This promises to be a good read.

Kind regards

Stephan Toth
Bewaafa

It's a very good book. Though I'm not a regular book reader or something like that, but I can't stop myself to appreciate it.
nwamaioha1
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

I had this book on my wishlist for a while, and this post made me add it to the cart. I will come back with a review after I finish reading it.