Making Sense of Change Management by E Canerion & M Green

Moderator: kwalford

satisfactionuk
Expert Member
Expert Member

Making Sense of Change Management by E Canerion & M Green

Postby satisfactionuk » Wed 08 Sep 2010 2:40 pm

Making Sense of Change Management by Esther Canerion and Mike Green (ISBN 978-0-749-5310-7) is what I consider essential basic recommended reading for project managers.

Quote:
Making Sense of Change Management is the classic text in the field of change management. It is aimed at anyone who wants to understand why change happen, and what needs to be done to make change a welcome rather than a dreaded concept. However, this book is not a "ones size fits all" simplistic panacea to all change, whatever the circumstances. Instead, it offers considered insights into the many frameworks, models and ways of approaching change and helps the reader to apply the right approach to each unique situation.

Topics include: individual change, team change, organisational change, leading change, structural change, mergers and acquisitions, cultural change, IT-based process change, complex change and how best to implement change.

Change management consists of a myriad of business activities, which is far to great to list here. However, in order to give you some insight into the complexity of this subject I would recommend that you download a neat little package called "Value Chain Analysis" from this site http://www.va1ue-chain.com By clicking on each of the headings you will find very large topic list that are relevant to each function. Transferring these lists into an Excel spreadsheet will provide you with an essential business study guide.

Believe me, it is formidable, I have been studying Business for 25 years and it opened my eyes to how much I still don’t know.

Another recommendation for wanabee project managers is to go to all of the Charity Book shops and spend a couple of pounds a week on business books in all subject areas. Even if you read or study one book a month, that is 52 books a year which will expand your knowledge and expertise in a wide variety of areas. It will also build you a formidable reference library that you can call upon when faced with complex problems to solve.

I hope this helps with your Project Management careers.