Project Management Booklist

This forum is for members to share book reviews. All of us buy and read business books. Some are good and others a waste of money, so don't be shy; let us know what you think about the books you’ve read.
contractpm

I decided to compile a list of books that have been useful to me, as a Project Manager.

Some of these books are designed to be a reference to help you in your job, some of them to help with specific PM qualifications and some just to read and retain. I have placed the books in order of importance and influence to my knowledge as a Project Manager:

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK Guide (PMBOK Guides) - Project Management Institute (Paperback – Oct 2004)
The PM Bible, this contains all terms and of course is required for PMI, CAPM and PMP exams.

Project Management for IT-related Projects: Textbook for the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Project Management - Bob Hughes, Roger Ireland, Norman Smith, David I. Shepherd(Paperback – Aug 31, 2004)
This is the official text for the ISEB Foundation Certificate in IS Project Management, one of the best introductions to IS PM.

Project Management in the Real World - Elizabeth Harrin (Paperback – Nov 1, 2006)
£20.98

This is a great book, probably suited to those who have already worked in PM.
This book gives case studies and real world examples of what works.

Goal Directed Project Management: Effective Techniques - Erling S. Andersen, Kristoffer V Grude, Tor Haug (Paperback – Feb 26, 2004)
This is one of the first PM books I read! Groundbreaking at the time in changing the paradigm from task orientated to goal orientated project management.

PMP Exam Prep: Accelerated Learning to Pass PMI’s PMP Exam on Your First Try! - Rita Mulcahy (Paperback – Sep 30, 2005)
Widely known as THE product to help you pass PMP!

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey (Paperback – Jan 4, 2004)
I believe this will help anyone with planning, organising and prioritising work.

The Mythical Man Month and Other Essays on Software Engineering - Frederick P. Brooks Jr. (Paperback – Aug 8, 1995)
Brilliant book on all aspects of project management in the "real" world

PRINCE2 Pocketbook - Office of Government Commerce (Paperback – Jul 15, 2005)
This is a pocketbook overview of all of the main principles of Prince2 – I found this book useful as an aide memoir.

Passing the PRINCE2 examinations - The APM Group based on the original book Ken Bradley (Paperback – Nov 30, 2007)
I used this for my exam, it is essentially just tips and past papers, but useful nonetheless.

Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 - Great Britain. Office of Government Commerce (Paperback – May 31, 2005)
This is the official text, and is required in the exam! However to read the text is really dry – like reading the dictionary!

PRINCE2 for Dummies - Nick Graham (Paperback – Apr 18, 2008)
This book is a good starter and is readable as a book on the way to work etc… Gives a good overview of Prince2!

PRINCE2: A Practical Handbook (Computer Weekly Professional) - Colin Bentley (Paperback – Dec 6, 2001)
This is a readable Prince2 book also – I read this as a pre-cursor to my formal training.

The Project and Programme Support Office Handbook: Foundation v. 1 - David E. Marsh (Paperback – Jan 1, 2000)
THE text required to prepare for the ISEB Certificate in Programme and Project Support Office Essentials exam.

The Project and Programme Support Office Handbook: Advanced v.2: Advanced Volume 2 – David E. Marsh (Paperback – Apr 1, 2000)
A more advanced text to help prepare for the Advanced Certificate in Programme and Project Support Office exam.

More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant’s Tool Kit - Gerald M. Weinberg (Paperback – Jan 15, 2002)
Useful for contractors and surviving all project work

The Complete Project Management Office Handbook (ESI International Project Management) - Gerard M. Hill (Hardcover – Aug 15, 2007)
A comprehensive reference text for setting up a Project Office.

Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects - Tom DeMarco, Timothy Lister (Paperback – Mar 31, 2003)
Excellent book on risk and risk management

Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams - Tom DeMarco, Timothy Lister (Paperback – Feb 28, 1999)
Great project based info.

Enjoy!
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great list of books, thanks.

I used Rita Mulcahy’s PMP Exam Prep to pass my PMP first time. Well written and far easier to read than the PMBOK Guide.

One book I’d add is…

The Project Workout: The Ultimate Handbook of Project and Programme Management - Robert Buttrick (Paperback - Dec, 15 2009)
Good practical approach to project and programme management. Written in an engaging style.
olivia751

Hello,

Thanks for such a big list of books here. Its really helpful for me. Some of them are hard to find out.

Regards,
Olivia
elizabethblogs
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

Thank you, contractpm, for taking the time to compile such an extensive list. Some of the titles are familiar to me, and your list reminds me that I should check out Project Management in the Real World. Project management is such a wide area - the wealth of literature on the subject never fails to amaze me!

Elizabeth
Knowledge Train - Project management courses
pnaybour

Hi

I can't help adding my own book to the list too. It's quite new and accredited by the APM

How to Pass the APMP a study guide: Your Journey to Professional Project ManagementImage

The feedback has been very postive and so we are looking for people to write a book review, please get in touch if you are interested.
Paul Naybour
We're with you all the way
AndrewBill

Those book list was really helpful for all the project manager. To be honest I am not yet a project manager, but I wanna learn more about it. In Norway there is a call center company that use to manage CRM and there is also a project manager that really good on it and it's inspired me on handling projects that why now I wanna learn and read some about it.
maithly

The seven habits are Covey's personal development blueprint for living with fairness, integrity, honesty and human dignity. This book is powerful, highly recommended, and in today's high pace 24 hour culture more relevant than ever.
Christine

Thanks for this list.

I'm just starting out in PM. Is there one book which you'd recommend as a great introduction?

Thanks,

Christine
nwamaioha1
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

Hi, this a good list for beginners. I am sure they will find a lot of tips and tricks there!