7 Books for CTOs in 2021 That Are a Must Read

This forum is for members to share book reviews. All of us buy and read business books. Some are good and others a waste of money, so don't be shy; let us know what you think about the books you’ve read.
Thescalers
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here are 7 books for CTOs from people-management, leveraging tech, embracing change, and more, these books are an invaluable source of practical knowledge.

1. Modern CTO

Author: Joel Beasley
You’ve got to be able to communicate in life, it’s enormously important. Schools, to some extent, under emphasize that. If you can’t communicate and talk to other people and get across your ideas, you’re giving up your potential.” – Joel Beasley
2. Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager

Author: Michael Lopp

My definition of a great manager is someone with whom you can make a connection no matter where you sit in the organization chart.” – Michael Lopp
3. The Lean Startup

Author: Eric Ries
“This is one of the most important lessons of the scientific method: if you cannot fail, you cannot learn.” – Eric Ries

4. The Hard Thing About Hard Things

Author: Ben Horowitz
“Hard things are hard because there are no easy answers or recipes. They are hard because your emotions are at odds with your logic. They are hard because you don’t know the answer and you cannot ask for help without showing weakness.”– Ben Horowitz
5. The CTO ¦ CIO Bible: The Mission Objectives Strategies and Tactics Needed To Be a Super Successful CTO

Author: Rorie Devine

“If you think about all of the great people you’ve worked with in the past, some of the things that they probably have in common are that they are passionate about what they do, they have energy, and they bring urgency.” – Rorie Devine
6. Leading Exponential Change: Go Beyond Agile and Scrum to Run Even Better Business Transformations

Author: Erich R. Bühler

"It is no longer enough to understand frameworks, functionalities, principles, techniques, or new ways to manage people. We must also understand deeper factors of organisational change and learn how these can help entire companies to improve.” – Erich R. Bühler

7. Rework

Authors: Jason Fried and David Hansson
"Workaholics aren’t heroes. They don’t save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is home because she figured out a faster way” – Jason Fried
nwamaioha1
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

Thank you for this amazing list. I have read some books like The Hard Thing About Hard Things and Rework, and I liked it, but I have been looking for inspiration, and this list is exactly what I need.