Recruitment Consultant that wants to move into Project Management

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
RecConGJ

Hey guys,

I'm a team leader in a construction recruitment company and I have 10 years experience in running a recruitment desk that involved building from a completely cold start that my company didn't trade in, which involved building and developing relationships from scratch, managing an ever evolving workload, managing a team and consultants as well as driving my own business forward at the same time.

I am a natural leader, being the captain of my rugby team as well as implementing new strategies within my company for different recruitment initiatives and managing these through to a conclusion.

I manage the whole recruitment lifecycle from winning the business and getting a vacancy on with the client to the resourcing of candidates and onto the full 2 or 3 stage interview process and then tying up the financial side of the deal.

I am also very commercially aware having joined a start-up company three years ago and helped implement the payroll systems and dealt with profit and loss and targeted company growth etc.

My current situation is that I am no longer solely driven by money as I was in my younger years and have become disillusioned with recruitment and want to get into a role I can drive projects forward, feel like I have accomplished something and help develop other skills as well as people below myself.

What would be my next steps into moving into Project Management, are my skills transferable, would a prospective employer look at someone like myself?

Qualification wise I left college after my A Levels and went straight into sales and have worked for 3 companies in 10 years with the last 8 of these coming under the same director (he left my 2nd company and took me to set up his own business)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post, and I look forward to hearing any advice and also hopefully becoming a productive member of this forum one day

Regards

Garry
RecConGJ

Guys,

Were there no replies to this at all?

Is it due to not having transferable skills?

Regards

Garry
Marvey Mills

Hi Garry,

What kind of Project Management (i.e. for which discipline) would you be thinking of?

Personally at first glance I am not convinced the skills are directly transferable. Sure, your skills and attributes would help you in a PM role. But notwithstanding the fact that most (not all!) PM roles require some level of technical proficiency in whatever the project is delivering, I think you would need to expand your skill set if you wanted to take on project management work. This is a gross generalisation of course, and I'm sure you could achieve it if you wanted to, just don't think you would be effective on day one just because of the skills and experience you have to-date...