Prioritisation: Risk Impact

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
jeremytwist

I am currently trying to create criteria for the impact levels of various risks found in the risk log. So far I have settled on the following:
  • Blocker
  • High
  • Medium
  • Low
However, now I would like some criteria for these four levels so everyone in the organization understands what they represent. I have proposed the following:

Blocker - Prevents high priority requirements from being met or any further project development from being made.

High - Severely compromises meeting requirements or results in extended delays in project development.

Medium - Some requirements may not be met or the project may be delayed.

Low - Some requirements may not be fully satisfied or the project may be delayed for a short period of time.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on this. I have looked everywhere and it seems that nobody has actually given criteria for impact levels in the risk log.

Many Thanks,
Jeremy
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Jeremy,

This is good article looking at risk, Ranking Risks: Rare to Certain, Negligible to Catastrophic.

In the article risks are looked at by Consequence Ranking:
  • Catastrophic
  • Critcal
  • Marginal
  • Negligible
...and Probability Ranking:
  • Certain
  • Likely
  • Possible
  • Unlikely
  • Once in 24 years
Duncan