This recognition is seen through increased marketability to employers and higher salary; according to the PMI Salary Survey — Sixth Edition, a PMP increases your salary up to 10% more than your non-credentialed colleagues and peers.
Who should apply?
The PMP recognizes demonstrated competence in leading and directing project teams. If you’re an experienced project manager looking to solidify your skills, stand out to employers and maximize your earning potential, the PMP credential is the right choice for you.
To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
- A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.OR
- A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
If you do not meet the PMP requirements, you may want to look at the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification.
How to Apply
- To apply for the PMP, register and log in to PMI online system to get started. A printable PMP application form is also available.
- Need more information? Get more information on the PMP’s role and requirements. For a more detailed look, consult the PMP Handbook.
- If you’re ready to take the exam, the PMP exam preparation can get you started. If you plan to take the exam in 2011, please note that an updated version will be used starting 31 August 2011. Find out more about the forthcoming update to the PMP credential exam.
Maintain Your PMP
As a PMP credential holder, you need to earn 60 PDUs per three-year cycle. For more information on credential maintenance, including suggestions for earning PDUs, visit Maintain Your PMI Certification or see the PMP Handbook.
If you’re ready to report your activities, visit PMI’s online CCR system to report PDUs and view your certification records. You can download a printable PDU activity reporting form.