Best PRINCE2 support software anyone?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

A question I’m often asked is, ‘What’s the best PRINCE2 support software available?’ Anyone with experience of any packages care to comment?
gatlineducation09

I am too looking for the answer. does anyone know what exactly it would be.
bazk

Hi,

I'd probably recommend Project in a Box I think that they're the market leaders for this.

Thanks,
Baz
elizabethblogs
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

I agree with Baz's recommendation.

PROJECT in a box supports use of the PRINCE2 method. On the PRINCE2 courses at Knowledge Train, for example, people receive complementary PROJECT in a box CDs.

Elizabeth
http://www.knowledgetrain.co.uk/
satisfactionuk
Expert Member
Expert Member

There are a lot of software packages out there that are free to download, however, free software has its definite limitations and for a person aspiring to become a 'Professional' needs not only to be able to do the job but also from a personal marketing perspective also needs to be able to impress both future employers and prospective customers.

I would thoroughly recommend learning the following packages as a basic requirement. Training videos are on their relative sites for each package.

Project in a Box, Project management software, Community edition (basic edition, that is great to learn on) free download, Personal edition, Small Team edition and Enterprise editions all have to be paid for. Personal edition is great for self employed project managers who don’t want to give access to customers, suppliers etc, Small Team edition provides this functionality and is a great package, the Enterprise edition is really only for large organisations who have the budget for such a top of the range product.

MS Office Project 2010, what can I say, this is the Rolls Royce of project management software with an appropriate price tag to go with it. It is the all singing all dancing package that is essential learning for those seeking to be employed as a project manager in a large organisation. For the professional consultant it is also a tool that will impress even the most fastidious of customers.

MS @Risk Project, This programme is the perfect partner to MS Office Project 2010, again, a top of the range product that seamlessly integrates with MS Office Project 2010 and Project in a Box. Very pricey but I believe another essential for your learning portfolio of packages. For the self-employed project management consultant provides a quick and easy method of risk analysis for the whole project and will again impress everyone else who is involved with your project.

Don’t forget, passing the Prince2 exams is just the start of your Project Management career, its in your best interest to carry on studying every bit of business information in every subject area that you lay your hands on in order to be able to talk intelligently with other business professionals, no matter what their areas of expertise are. Signing up for the Harvard Business Reviews is an invaluable source of information.

Life long learning is a must for Project Managers.

I hope this article helps in your future careers.