Automated/Automation Testing?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Eananaat

Good morning,

I was tasked with researching 'ways to apply automated testing'. I have never done automated testing. Only manual with test plans written by developers. Not sure where to begin.

Anyone have any websites that explain this to a newbie easily that have helped you in the past? Looking for advice on where the best places are to begin this research based on other testers/businesses experience.

Thank you!
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Eananaat,

Test automation requires two things, a good test plan and test tools. After deciding what test cases to automate you should investigate the best tool to use. Our team use Selenium, which seems to be a front runner when it comes to test tools. You could even build your own. However, why bother when there are so many commercial tools to choose from. Finally, use good quality test data. This is one of my bugbears, when I see testers struggling to write their tests. Good quality data makes it easier to write automated tests.

All the best,
Duncan
Koldveen

Hi!

Here's an excellent article to your question - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/manual-vs-automation-testing. I think the best way is combining automated and manual testing to take the best from each.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Eananaat,

Automated testing is not a panacea. For example, if you want to improve the accessibility of your websites, with the aim of being inclusive, you will need a good deal of manual testing. I agree with Koldveen, take the best aspects of both approaches in order to achieve the best possible user experience.

The suggested article is well worth reading.

All the best,
Duncan