Is PMP valid these days as PMP is waterfall and we are moving to Agile now? Is it worth taking it?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
lfalcon

Hello,

What do you think? Is PMP still valid?

I am PMP and agile (SAFe SPC) certified, and I would say:
  • YES! PMP is still valid
  • PMP is not waterfall
For me, project management methodologies are like martial arts: It is not the technique itself, but how good you are mastering the technique to use it in a real situation. So it is not because you know karate, that you cannot learn aikido, right?

Currently, I am managing two projects in Italy, Belgium, Spain and Portugal and to do that, I use PMP to structure the project, and scrum agile as delivery approach.

I like to use PMP practices together with agile-scrum, because this allow me to put in place the right project goverance with an efficient delivery approach.

I my article "PMP vs agile project management" I go into the details about how I use these two approaches together.

I hope this can be helpful. Here you have the link: PMP-PMI vs agile project management: which one is better?

And you, do you mix project management methodologies?

Enjoy!