Writing a CV for a Project Manager role

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Monday

A CV is not there to get you a job, its there to get you an interview, and it should be written with this aim in mind.

Recruiters never ignore good talent and a well written CV is the first sign of that.

You only get one chance to make a first good impression with employers.

When writing a CV for Project Manager position focus on your ability to not only turn proposals into reality but also on your skills at planning, organizing, monitoring and controlling projects.

Demonstrate to potential employers how you can make their organizations more competitive and profitable by cutting unnecessary expenditure and making processes more efficient.

Show them your real world experience, formal training and relevant certification.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Monday,

I couldn't agree more, particularly with only having one chance to make a first good impression.

A tip I give our apprentices and young people starting out, is to talk about the benefits delivered by projects on which they've worked. I advise them to add these same benefits to their CVs; without disclosing confidential information. Often, I see CVs listing projects, but not talking about why the projects were undertaken and what benefits they delivered.

Duncan
AGupta

Hi Monday,

I second Duncan on this. Surprisingly, a lot of good resumes end up in the bin because there's no context to the project they were in. And when you're up for the role of a project manager, you should draft your resume such that points have clarity, contributions are clear and the costs and benefits side of things come up naturally so that the HR scanning your profile knows there's a match between the candidate's experience and breadth of projects they were previously on.
danwan337
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

More often, CV's have information about the job you did. Your resume is the first impression of you. The best way to get noticed is to highlight your achievements in the project you worked for and how you successfully delivered it. You can mention the project cost and how you help save money on the project.