Recently passed the PMP exam. Read my story

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Brad Ferrell

Hey folks,

I passed the PMP examination recently and wanted to pass along a few tips that got me through those hard, grind it out hours of preparation. There were lots of up and downs, but focus, persistence, and resilience is the key. The exam is passable, but it is critical to plan your study approach months in advance, similar to planning a project in your line of work. Here are few things that helped me:
  • If your planned exam date is at least three months out, I would spend two hours a day during the week and at least three hours a day during the weekend to prepare. This will give you enough time to take practice exams and improve in the areas which are under par.
  • Taking regular breaks when needed. Breaking out a 6 hour study day into 3 two-hour periods or 6 one-hour periods is more productive that 1 six-hour period. Studies show your brain can absorb new information when it is in idle mode, so give it a rest from time to time.
  • Measure your progress through quizzes and practice exams, in addition, take note of processes that are giving you the most fits. You want to make sure your weak areas are not exposed when you decide to take the final exam.
  • Finally, be sure your mind is free of distractions and other stress-inducing factors when studying. However you choose to do this, whether it be more sleep, music, meditation, yoga, you will study better when you’re in a positive mental state.
I wrote a full story of my exam experience, which you can read in the link below. Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/view/pmpsuccessstory/home

Brad
Ameerah

Interesting and helpful tips.
Stephbaker

Brad Ferrell wrote:Hey folks,

I passed the PMP examination recently and wanted to pass along a few tips that got me through those hard, grind it out hours of preparation. There were lots of up and downs, but focus, persistence, and resilience is the key. The exam is passable, but it is critical to plan your study approach months in advance, similar to planning a project in your line of work. Here are few things that helped me:
  • If your planned exam date is at least three months out, I would spend two hours a day during the week and at least three hours a day during the weekend to prepare. This will give you enough time to take practice exams and improve in the areas which are under par.
  • Taking regular breaks when needed. Breaking out a 6 hour study day into 3 two-hour periods or 6 one-hour periods is more productive that 1 six-hour period. Studies show your brain can absorb new information when it is in idle mode, so give it a rest from time to time.
  • Measure your progress through quizzes and practice exams, in addition, take note of processes that are giving you the most fits. You want to make sure your weak areas are not exposed when you decide to take the final exam.
  • Finally, be sure your mind is free of distractions and other stress-inducing factors when studying. However you choose to do this, whether it be more sleep, music, meditation, yoga, you will study better when you’re in a positive mental state.
I wrote a full story of my exam experience, which you can read in the link below. Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/view/pmpsuccessstory/home

Brad

Interesting, mate! Congratulations first of all! Nice tips were given by you so thank you
AGupta

Hi Brad,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but just wanted to say congratulations! I looked at your exam prep tips and saw that you relied on PMBOK's 5th edition. I think as of 2018, there's a 6th edition which include 2 additional processes, one renamed knowledge areas and lesser focus on the ITTO section.

I thought of sharing this seeing as those taking the new format would find revised areas.
danwan337
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

Congratulations for your achievement. Success stories like these go a long way in encouraging others.