'Junior' Project Management Roles

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
stonesfan
Expert Member
Expert Member

Evening all.

Am at the stage now where all the work over the last 2 years is coming to the point of applying for jobs in a PMO environment. Have noticed some jobs advertised as a 'Junior Project Manager'. Can anyone shed any light onto this title? Is this Junior as in age related? Or as in responsibility? Must admit the jobs I've looked at don't indicate that its a graduate related role or anything like that. One or two have titled the role as Junior/Assistant Project Manager. Realistically, I'm going to be applying for a PMO analyst or Assistant PM role. Am 42 years of age so don't want to be applying for 'Junior' roles if they are likely to be looking for a youngster!

Thanks for any advice here.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most junior project manager roles in my organisation are filled by graduates and young people. The term junior can refer to either a young person or person inexperienced in project management. I'd go for it, what's the worst that can happen?

Duncan
LloydC86

Just a little advice...

I won't bore you with the details, 30yo and decided that my career in construction/exhibitions is coming to an end. I find 'beauty' in something so well organised, how intricate something can be, so I started researching PM and started studying Prince2 and I am really enjoying it. I am at the stage where I want to employ what I have learnt, but unsure of a route to take (hence the post) and just a little advice on career tactics...if any? I am aware that I wouldn't be able to start as a PM due to having little experience in the field.

Thank you in advance.
L
ArchieBrooks

Junior PM roles are not necessarily for "young" people. It's simply aimed at less experienced PMs. To answer you questions below:
I won't bore you with the details, 30yo and decided that my career in construction/exhibitions is coming to an end. I find 'beauty' in something so well organised, how intricate something can be, so I started researching PM and started studying Prince2, and I am really enjoying it.
Good place to start. PRINCE2 is well recongnised and definitely provides you with the fundamentals. It is worth noting that depending on the PM industry you go into, this may or may be used as much as you think. Keep this in mind.
I am at the stage where I want to employ what I have learnt, but unsure of a route to take (hence the post) and just a little advice on career tactics...if any? I am aware that I wouldn't be able to start as a PM due to having little experience in the field.
1) Get an internal opportunity at your current place of work. Projects are all around us, and there are plenty to get involved in - no matter the size or complexity.
2) Start at the bottom - Project Admin/Support and Project Coordinator all help you get into a Junior PM position which will then later transform into a PM position and so on. Moving up will come in itself - it's getting yourself on the ladder that counts. I recommend coming to places like here, LinkedIn and similar. LinkedIn has many groups which discuss Project topics as well as opportunities.
3) Volunteer - Many CVs I have reviewed has volunteer work to obtain PM experience. Although this may not be cost effective, it's noted from an employee's POV.

Good Luck.