Project Management in Healthcare

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
jafow81

Hello,

I recently graduated with my Bachelors and am relatively new to project management. I just started my first position in the healthcare field as a project manager at the beginning of the year. As I've seen other people say, it is a hard position to get into without experience, that's for sure. Luckily, I have known my manager for quite some time and she had faith in my abilities from previous positions. My department works with high utilizer patients and we have RN and social worker case managers that help case manage patients by utilizing behavior modifications and motivational interviewing techniques. My role is to oversee the program as it relates to the processes and procedures of the staff. I also do pre/post cost analysis of our membership, track and trend pre/post utilization of ED and hospital utilization, and data analysis for other factors we are tracking and forecasting (30 day readmissions, etc.). Since this program is new, I never actually trained under a project manager.

So, I was just curious, does anyone have any tips and/or information for other project management tools, techniques, or just any advice in the healthcare industry from past experiences or general knowledge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hiya,

You might find Five Steps to a Winning Project Team a useful article. The authors tee it up as project management in a healthcare setting, but then give a best practice guide applicable to many types of organisation, including healthcare.

Duncan
jafow81

Thanks, Duncan!