Scope, Cost and Schedule Accountability

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
tulicek

In a project, can the Accountable for Scope and the Accountable for Cost and Schedule (or other different combinations) be two different persons? How would that reflect in the RACI matrix for the project? Thanks
bigbug

Yes, two separate individuals can be responsible for the different aspects. In fact, there can be three separate divisions. For example, on large science-based engineering projects, like the one I'm working on (http://dkist.nso.edu/) the chief engineer/systems engineer is responsible for scope and quality, whilst the project controller is charged with maintaining the budget and schedule. Over both of these individuals in the org chart is the Project Manager.
tulicek

Thanks for your reply bigbug!
However, in your example, it would look as if the PM is in fact Accountable for the "whole" (scope (quality), cost and schedule), and he/she has then split the Responsibility between two persons reporting to him.
bigbug

tulicek wrote:Thanks for your reply bigbug!
However, in your example, it would look as if the PM is in fact Accountable for the "whole" (scope (quality), cost and schedule), and he/she has then split the Responsibility between two persons reporting to him.
Yes, this is exactly the case. In my experience working on a dozen different projects, the accountability of *everything* ultimately rests on the PM's shoulders. He/she can/should delegate responsibility as required to other individuals, but I've never really seen a case where accountability was abdicated to someone other than the PM.