Help - Merging two projects into one - for interview presentation

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Mack

I came across this Forum and hoped that Members might be able to help me with ideas and some steer around a presentation I have to put together for a job interview. Essentially, it's a programme management role within an IT environment - I have not led on IT project before. The presentation topic is around merging two projects - what approach and steps require to be taken. It's a 10 - minute presentation. Do any Members have some nuggets and ideas please? I would be immensely grateful for any help/steer/resource you can give me please. With thanks.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Mack,

When you say you want to merge two projects what do you mean?

If you can provide some more information, it will help us answer your question.

Cheers,
Duncan
Mack

Duncan - thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my earlier request for help. Here is an extract of what I have been sent in advance of the interview which is happening this Wednesday 24 February:
*** As part of your interview you will be required to prepare a presentation to respond to the following scenario: 'The Trust has entered into a consortium to provide an EDMS solution, there are two projects that were original designed to be separate and now need to be harmonised, can you demonstrate what are the key actions that need to be taken to bring the two project in alignment and how you would approach this?' ***

This is all the information I have on the topic. I don't know if this will be sufficient for you to send me some key actions I might need to incorporate into my presentation. I would really and genuinely appreciate any steer you may be able to give me, your time permitting.
Many thanks
Mack
easyprojecthub

Hi Mack,

You would probably want to:
  1. Align the objectives of each project i.e. look at what each project is aiming to deliver and come up with a common set of goals that satisfy the needs of both of the original projects.
  2. Take into consideration the most efficient way of delivering the two projects as one e.g. look at whether there are duplicate tasks or even similar tasks that can be done as one. There is likely to be an opportunity to become more efficient.
  3. Re-plan the resources (people, technology etc) required to deliver the new set of goals. Your aim would be to reduce the resources, and possible time required
  4. Look at any existing risks, issues and dependencies that may impact your new project / programme and put plans in place to mitigate
  5. Suggest a communication plan should be put in place. Communication is king! When projects are merged stakeholders (the people you are delivering the project for) can often believe that they are losing out, even if this is not the case. Communicating to all the relevant people involved and impacted will increase your chance of successful delivery.
Hopefully, this has given you some ideas!

Good luck...

Julia | easyprojecthub.com
Mack

Hello Julia - thank you ever so much for your timely and helpful response. Your ideas give me a framework and content, and hopefully, I can build on this tonight. I am a programme manager but to date, I have not led on an IT programme. My programme management strengths are mainly around process change/improvement projects. I am still in disbelief that I was shortlisted for a programme manager role in IT. But it's an opportunity I will take, even more so with helpful people like you around, of which they cannot be that many. Thank you heartily. Mack