Example of Good Communication

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
SimonS

During an interview I was asked what makes a good Project Manager and I replied good communication for instance. Then the interviewer asked me to give an example of good communication. Although I am sure having good communication in my Projects, I struggled really hard to give a convincing answer to this question. I think the interviewer wanted to hear a simple but really good example on how I communicate in my Projects as Project Manager, not generally but on one example as it happened.

How would you answer to this question? Some inspiration by tomorrow (Tuesday) would be great!

P.S. I work on interior and equipment projects in the aviation sector.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

For me, good communication is about keeping everyone updated on all aspects of a project. No surprises.

Recently, my development team have started conducting daily stand-ups. It's part of the agile PM approach but is valuable in any methodology. It's a short phone call or Google Hangout where team members individually say what they did yesterday, say what they intend to do today and highlight any blockers holding them back. This way, each team member knows what the others are doing and gives early sight of any blockers, allowing other team members or the PM to help remove them. Perfect for teams spread across different locations.

It's summed up best by George Bernard Shaw, "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

Duncan
SimonS

We are starting to set up the SCRUM approach for projects which have tight schedule constrains and not finalized requirement baselines. The daily SCRUM meeting would be the equivalent to your example, which is a good answer to my question.

Thanks a lot Duncan!
jayashree
Expert Member
Expert Member

The best example for the necessity of good communication is in a project you will have team members and team leaders. Only through proper communication you can organise and carry out things in the most effective way.