How to Embed a Bespoke International Methodology and Framework

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
sarah855

I recently secured a new role as International Operational Project Manager within an automotive compliance function. The compliance team created this role to add structure, control and a standardised way of managing all international projects.

One of my first objectives is to design and implement a project methodology for the team. As an experienced PM, I knew there were many options and set about researching pro's and con's for the team as well as understanding what others teams used project methodologies within the business. It became apparent very quickly that there is not one overarching methodology for the business, and there is no central project or change team, and, therefore, I found multiple teams managing multiple projects with multiple methodologies.

The positive from this was I could create a bespoke methodology that was right for the compliance team rather than conforming to a preferred business approach. After a few months of researching and understanding the business needs as well as gathering the teams views on what works well/not so well in their current projects, I proposed a hybrid methodology between some traditional methods whilst offering an agile element for the growing needs of the business. The proposal was approved, and I am now in the process of educating the international team on the project process and how our methodology will work from 2016 and beyond.

The challenge I have had since is when it comes to working with external consultants who are project managing elements of work for us and other functions within the business such as IT who have their own methodology. It seems we have conflicting methodologies at times, and all want to follow our own way of working. I have tried to adapt and diversify the compliance methodology using elements of this where possible rather than the full end to end cycle. It has resulted in this methodology just not sticking in the team and people are still working in silos with a reactive approach.

I am almost managing a role between a PM, Change Manager and coordinator and need to establish some tips on how I go back to the drawing board to get this methodology embedded and people on board with the work I am solely responsible for. I am reaching out to this group to see if anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer words of wisdom on the direction I now need to take this work?
jayashree
Expert Member
Expert Member

I really appreciate you for the challenging role you have taken up. All the best!!
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Sarah,

I've seen a similar situation where an organisation was mixing a traditional waterfall approach and an agile methodology. The management was insisting on a fully signed off requirements specification before the project started while the project manager wanted to run a Scrum style approach. They didn't trust him to delivered the customer requirements.

The PM gave them a choice. Wait three months and I'll deliver the whole project or let me start and I'll deliver in two-week sprints and work with you to refine requirements. This proposal was the clincher; nobody wanted to wait three months to see something. The team embraced the new approach and soon everyone bought into working in two-week sprint cycle.

Sometimes, you need to lead people towards a better approach. It's only in practice they see the benefits.

Duncan