Project Resource Capacity Planning

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Keith_Harrison

Hello, this is my first post. Hopefully, it will be both useful to me and those reading.

I've attached a tool I put together for Resource Capacity Planning, which forms part of this discussion. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE FOR YOUR PROJECTS IF YOU LIKE IT.
Capacity-Planner.xlsx
(50.56 KiB) Downloaded 3064 times
I wanted to gauge opinion on the best tool for Project Resource Capacity planning, as I have seen many different tools used and in the main, none seem to tick all boxes. For instance, MS Project is great to accurately capture all resource variables, however navigating between Resource Sheet, Resource Usage, Tracking Gantt...and so on just makes visualising and forming an overall picture of the 'state of play' a huge faff.

I suppose this question will have different answers depending on context too, as you'll see from the template I have attached. Sometimes a simplistic approach is needed and sometimes a more all-encompassing and detailed approach is needed.

But please let me know you thoughts on best systems, tools, templates for Resource Capacity Planning and in what scenarios. Please fire back comments on my template too, if you find it useful or if not.

Thanks,
Keith.
Fuzzynavel

It's not too difficult in MS Project 2010 to set up custom reports if you need to produce the same or updated datasets frequently.
You can also set up the view so that you can see a couple of the resource elements at the same time.
katyeileen

Hi Keith,

Your Planner is extremely helpful, thank you so much for sharing - I've been looking for something exactly like this!

I was wondering, there are a few protected cells in the worksheets - would you be kind enough to share the password also? (I'm considering to make this a 12 monthly plan, which would suit better for our needs).

To your particular question - I've been finding it difficult to find something this simple - I would prefer to avoid MSProject, as our team really just needs a solid overview of FTE's allocation to projects (both owned & not-owned by our function). So far, I have managed to find a wealth of the more complicated templates (and by which time, I think it is easier just to USE Project), but again, I've not found any others as simple as yours.

Thanks so much again!!!
Ashooks

Hello Keith,

Your worksheet is very helpful. Are you willing to share the password for the protected fields? Would like to make some modifications to it. Thanks.
bgb

Just came across this and found it useful? Were you able to share the password so we can change some of the protected areas?

Ben...
Stephbaker

Fuzzynavel wrote:It's not too difficult in MS Project 2010 to set up custom reports if you need to produce the same or updated datasets frequently.
You can also set up the view so that you can see a couple of the resource elements at the same time.
Yeah, I agree as well
KarthikKalyanum2018

I am having a hard time to understand the sheet, actually. Could someone help me understand it? Esp on the histogram part - how it changes with the change in the data that is keyed in.

Kind regards,
KARTHIK
AGupta

Hey Keith, your template is very helpful to quantify the essential capacity planning elements with the metrics you have given in the template. I would recommend one more element that gives a clearer picture of the workforce capacity i.e. capacity versus demand. A section that captures the capacity of the workforce and demand arising from the project will help improve workforce capacity management.

You can refer to measuring capacity versus demand in article (link given after the next line) that I found useful and implement the same in the template. You can also know the resourcing treatment you’ll need to take if there’s a disparity in the number of resources and projects you have thus bridging the gap!

https://www.saviom.com/saviom_new/blog/the-comprehensive-guide-to-resource-or-workforce-capacity-planning/