PMP Application Advice

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
ginne

I'm trying to get my PMP application completed, but I have a bit of a hurdle...most of my "projects" are too old to use, my prep course instructor said this is no problem, I can use other things, like home stuff, unpaid projects, etc. However, I don't want to spend all the effort to fill out the app and send it in if I can't get approved to take the exam, or get audited and then turned down. My MBA is in project management and I'm a newbie, so yes I'm at a disadvantage, but I don't think it's impossible. Any advice or resources you guys recommend?

Thank you for the help! I want to do this before I get knee deep in something important and then miss it...
swetasapra

Time commitment
Initial approach
Final approach
ginne

thank you...I've organized everything by task, so I'm hoping that will help.
TonyD
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

There's always a risk they they will audit you and turn you down even with legitimate project work experience. The good thing is that you won't be allowed to take the exam until they approve of your application.

I remember there is some rule in the application as to what timeframe your experience counts. I think it was something like 10 yrs from your first experience until your last one. Read the fine print.

Good luck and study hard for the exam.
"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Benjamin Franklin