I have just passed my Prince2 foundation and would like to progress into PM work

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
FJR001

Hi all,

I am 26 years old and have been working as a sports coach primarily recently, but previously for a digital marketing company. A relative gave me a Prince2 book and after some reading I decided to take the foundation exam and passed.

I found PM to be a real interest to me as I have always enjoyed business and achieving desired results. I think I have the characteristics to be a PM and am willing to put in the hard work. I was wondering what are my best options now?

I looked for a few apprenticeships, but I guess due to my age they are limited. Shall I look for a entry level job?

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice.
stonesfan
Expert Member
Expert Member

I'd definitely suggest taking the Practitioner exam next. Preferably whilst your mind is still fresh with foundation material.

Foundation is what is says it is. A solid foundation to get you ready for Practitioner level training.

Good luck.
PatrickJKelly

Please don't do the PRINCE2 Practitioner course unless you like to waste your money. The PRINCE2 Practitioner course has nothing to do with learning PRINCE2, it is 100% focused on the preparing for the Practitioner Exam and 66% of your time is on doing test Q&A which you can do at home.

OK - so you would like to progress to being a PM. The PRINCE2 Foundation cert will get you the interview, but then they will ask you about your experience and this is important. So here are some tips:

1) Understand the role of Project Support person:
Read this http://prince2.wiki/Project_Support

2) Contact all non-profit companies in your area and volunteer to be a project support person for FREE
  • Schools, Charities, Chamber of Commerce, Toastmasters, Sports Clubs
3) What will you learn:
  • How projects work from the inside
  • How projects are planned and the typical issues they face
  • How requirements change
  • How the communication is done
  • The different roles in a project and how they are done
4) After doing Project Support, you can offer to be the PM.
  • This is a great experience and looks great on your CV
  • Also, just imagine the response you will get when you say you volunteered to learn this
5) Do an online course for Scrum or Agile.
  • Look at Exin Agile Scrum
  • This is a nice easy to follow course and very practical
All the best and please contact me if you have any more questions.