I would be very grateful for help and advice!

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Lilykitty10

Hi all

I am seriously considering a career in PM but I'm slightly lost as to what path to take. I have a degree and a post grad and I am currently a teacher and have been for several years. I have always been interested in PM but never knew what direction to move forward. I have completed some research and it appears the Prince2 is a decent start but I am slightly sceptical so that's why I'm asking the pro's!

Once I complete the P2 will I be able to apply for PM jobs straight away or are there other qualifications that are required? Like I say I'm looking for a career change but is it as simple to acquire the P2 then apply?

Any help/advice will be gravely appreciated

Thanks in advance
a-r

Hi!

If I were to start nowadays my career I would definitely consider both Traditional Management and AGILE!
The trend is now to implement as many Agile concepts at least at Technical level.
A good starting point would be to read some of the many free resources and to watch some of the free videos available online (i.e. try Scrum and Ken Schwaeber on YouTube). A very good point over the modern management techniques is made by a Dutch author and public speaker named Jurgen Appelo in a book named Management 3.0!

Good luck!
A-R
begeland

Hi. What you haven't mentioned is have you managed any projects so far? What is the basis of your interest? I ask because it is possible to manage projects without "officially" dropping everything and becoming a project manager. That said, throwing yourself head-on into a new profession is also to be commended - it shows definite commitment/dedication.

As for training and certification...I'm a huge proponent of someone trying to at least get some PM experience before going the training/certification route. Training and certification is far from free and you may find that PM is not going to be for you. Another consideration is this: If you are organized, well rounded, connected in your company, a good leader, respected, and a few other qualities that would depend on what type of projects you'd be leading (like are you technical if you're leading technical/IT projects?), then training and certification may not be necessary. And by that I mean not at all - not just to get started. You may have the qualities to jump into it - starting small or at the bottom, of course. But unless your company requires it or your industry requires it, you may not need certification and you may already have the qualities, characteristics, and related experience to pull of starting this new part of your career "as-is."

Good luck!

Brad