Need help writing requirements

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Pavan Vamsee

Hi all,

I recently graduated from University and got hired as a Business Analyst. I'm given a task to write requirements. I need help on what to write for SEO, content management, editing and administration.

I require urgent assistance.

Thank you,
Pavan Vamsee
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Requirements need to be SMART and prioritized. Sometimes, the client cannot have all the requirements they want so their is a trade-off. Check the MoSCoW technique as a tool for prioritizing requirements.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Pavan,

You need to show your customers' requirements for the topics. For example, how do they want to manage web content. Is there a need for a web content management system. If so, what features should it have?

Here are some examples from a recent requirements document for web content management:

SEO
  • The website should perform well in popular search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing.
  • Important search terms are term-1, term-2 and term-3.
  • All pages must have a Title and Description tag.
Content Management
  • There will be a QA version of the website. QA will not be visible to people outside of {company name}. QA is used for checking and testing the website design, functionality and content before go live.
  • There will be a staging version of the website. Staging will not be visible to people outside of {company name}. Staging is used for pre-production checks before content is published on the live (publically accessible) website.
  • There will be the ability to add new page types to the website in the future, such as {page type name}.
  • Content changes will be made by agencies outside {company name}. Access to {name of web content management system} is required for all agencies working on the website.
Editing
  • Content will be managed through {name of web content management system}.
  • There will be four levels of access to the web content management system: administrator, editor, trainer and support analyst.
Hope this helps spark some ideas.

Duncan
Pavan Vamsee

kwalford wrote:Requirements need to be SMART and prioritized. Sometimes, the client cannot have all the requirements they want so their is a trade-off. Check the MoSCoW technique as a tool for prioritizing requirements.
Hi,
Initially I gather requirements through MoSCoW principle and present it to the client.

Thank you
Pavan Vamsee
Pavan Vamsee

Hi Duncan,
I am using the template you posted on another forum post. Hence I had a doubt with few of the subheadings.
Your reply helped.

Thank you
Pavan Vamsee
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

The post containing the requirements gathering template Pavan refers to can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1207