Known Issues Documentation Ownership

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
camalbitboy

Hi All,

I was hoping that you would be able to point me to some documentation that states who is responsible for creating, maintaining, and passing over to the business at go live the list of known issues encountered during an IT project. We work with PRINCE2 and ITIL standards.

I am working as a business lead on an in-house IT project that is delivering over multiple releases and so far it hasn't managed known issues very well. I have been asking for a list of known issues with the current version of the system/software to be provided so that we can advise users and the service desk etc of them to reduce the number of support calls being generated, and improve customers experiences, but so far to no joy.

My project manager has finally agreed, but wants to put that task on me as Business Lead. I suspect that she is trying to pull a fast one, but then again as I am fairly new to IT project management and only have a couple of in-house courses to support me in this; I could well be wrong.

I have tried Google-ing an answer, but to be honest I am getting a little lost in some of the language and can't find anything definitive.

Please can anyone shed some light on this for me? A PRINCE2 or ITIL guide that defines the owner of this task would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Cam
NickC

Hi

PRINCE2 suggests we produce an End of Project Report.

I always include ongoing issues or responsibility hand overs in this document and I include all people involved in the circulation.

In terms of who is responsible for gathering, documenting and communicating this information, I'd say the PM as a non-brainer.

Thanks

Nick
camalbitboy

NickC wrote:Hi

PRINCE2 suggests we produce an End of Project Report.

I always include ongoing issues or responsibility hand overs in this document and I include all people involved in the circulation.

In terms of who is responsible for gathering, documenting and communicating this information, I'd say the PM as a non-brainer.

Thanks

Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for that. I was sure it was a no brainer, but my PM is adamant that if the business wants a known issues report then I as Business Lead have to produce it.

I think that I shall escalate this with her line management as the Project Exec agrees with me. Would have been good to find some formal project management documentation that supports our view to make it impossible for her to argue though in case anyone else knows of anything?

Cheers
Cam
NickC

" Would have been good to find some formal project management documentation that supports our view to make it impossible for her to argue though in case anyone else knows of anything? "

PRINCE2 manual:

Page 109
End Project Report:
This is produced by the Project Manager towards the end of the project............ etc

Page 243 discusses the content of the report.

I might be backtracking on myself a little here, but it is reasonable to the PM to ask you to prepare any relevant information and perhaps ask you to communicate the detail directly to the relevant people if this is the most effective way to deal with detailed issues.

The project manager should make herself responsible for making sure everything is conducted properly though and summarised on the end project report to allow the board to sign off the project, IMO.

Nick