Is PRINCE2 still considered a valued PM certification in the marketplace?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
jayman21

Hi All,

I have been off Project Management for a while and trying to get back into the market as a Project Manager. Can you please share if PRINCE2 is still considered a valued Project Management certification in the marketplace? I am considering taking the PRINCE2 Practitioner as I only have the Foundation. Is it worth it?

How would you compare PMP to PRINCE2? Which is a better?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Jay
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Jay,

In my opinion PRINCE2 is still very relevant, its beauty is the entry criteria are low, so anyone interested in improving their project management skills can get access to it easily. If you are thinking of becoming a career project manager, then I would definitely think about working towards the PMP.

I've done both, starting with PRINCE2 and then PMP a couple of years later. I've found both valuable over the years, the depth of learning in PMP makes it worth more than PRINCE2. It's not necessarily one or the other, they are quite different.

There are a number of junior project managers working in my department, and most are either taking or planning to take the PRINCE2 Practitioner, as a stepping stone to becoming a fully fledged project manager.

Hope this helps with your decision. What do others think?

Duncan
jayman21

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your feedback/contribution. I think its time for me to take that bold step to progress my PM career forward. My intention was to complete PRINCE2 Practitioner then follow up with the PMP.

My understanding is that the PMP is more recognised internationally most especially in the United States. While PRINCE2 is more of within Europe. So I guess for someone looking to take their career international having both is a plus and you can view the practice of managing projects from both perspectives.

Were there any major differences between PMP and PRINCE2 which you noticed while studying for them (PMP and PRINCE) or major difference experienced while applying the principles on projects?

Regards
Jay
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Jay,

Sounds like a good approach. I agree with you; PMP is more well-known in North America, although it's becoming more recognised in Britain lately.

After passing PMP, I found myself asking, "How do I put this all together?" That's where PRINCE2 helped, because of its process based methodology. I think the two sit well together, PRINCE2 giving you detailed processes and PMP giving you detailed knowledge in areas, such as cost estimating and budgeting, creating communications plans, management of requirements, etc.

The major differences as I see them are that PMP has more depth and detail in terms of tools, techniques and showing you how to do things. PRINCE2 provides the process based methodology and structure in a clear way. In a nutshell, PRINCE2 tells you 'what' to do and PMP 'how' to do it.

The other difference is that you can pass PRINCE2 without needing any PM experience by just enrolling on the 5 day course. Anyone with PMP has already managed projects and has experience in the profession. This points to an issue, in that, PRINCE2 has less value in the market because so many people have it. PMP is the real differentiator in the profession, so that's the one to go for if you decide not to do both.

For me, it's not about one or the other; both have a role to play in helping deliver successful projects.

Good luck with your studies. Let us know how you get on.

Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi,

I totally advocate what Duncan has said in his last post.

Arras People (PM consultancy) have said that employers tend to look for a cert of some form, whether it is Prince2, Agile, PMP, APMP is not overly crucial, but more the fact that you can demonstrate achieving some form of formal training (learning).

Prince2 is the easiest and cheapest to achieve.

Thanks
Kit
jayman21

@dhaughey and @kwalford Thank you for your contribution. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Frankus

Great and relevant thread, thanks guys.

I am in the UK, looking to start of with a PRINCE2 qual. Found a number of providers, most around the £1k mark.

Any advice on which might be better than others? Or are they all much of a muchness.

I intend to avoid the cheapest (£295) and the dearest (2,340).

The rest, I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Frankus
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

QA are a good provider and I would strongly recommend Provek Training (I have just been on one of their classroom courses). I would recommend a classroom course for the Practitioner exam as it is a little tricky to the untrained eye!
Steveskok

Hi there,

About PRINCE2:

PRINCE2 stands for "PRojects IN Controlled Environments." Currently, Axelos, UK, owns the PRINCE2 certification.

PRINCE2 project management is a process-based methodology used for productive project management. Its official manual called "Managing successful projects with PRINCE2,” is helpful for practitioners.

About PMP:

PMP, which stands for "Project Management Professional," is a widely popular certification among project management professionals. The PMI (Project Management Institute) in Philadelphia, USA, is a not-for-profit membership association administered PMP.

The PMBOK ( Project Management Body of Knowledge ) guide called the "bible" for project managers worldwide. Its 6th edition was published in September 2017.

PMP vs. PRINCE2: Which one is more difficult?

PMP certification is more complicated than PRINCE2. It requires a minimum of 7,500 hours plus a secondary degree. Alternatively, it requires 4,500 hours and a 4-year degree.

On the other hand, you can get the PRINCE2 Foundation certification by only passing the exam.

Let's look at the different certifications PMP offers.
  • Project Management Professional (PMP)
  • Program Management Professional (PgMP)
  • Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)
  • Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
  • What are the benefits of getting a PRINCE2 certification?
The benefits include:
  • Certified PRINCE2 professionals gain extensive knowledge in the project management areas.
  • PRINCE2 has a transparent laid-out methodology.
  • There is no confusion while executing projects due to standard approaches.
  • You get a better salary and employability prospects.
  • Let's look at the different certifications PRINCE2 offers.
PRINCE2 (2009) offers project management certifications at three levels.
  • Foundation: The foundation level is the basic level in project management certification.
  • Practitioner: The practitioner level is significantly valued in the field and is an intermediate level in project management certification.
  • Professional: The professional level in project management certification is a tough one.
What is the validity of the certifications?
  • PMP Certification: It is valid for up to 3 years.
  • PRINCE2 Foundation: It has no expiration period.
  • PRINCE2 Practitioner: It is valid for up to 3 years. However, if you are a certified PRINCE2 practitioner, you can enroll in the PRINCE2 subscription to maintain your certificate.
Thank you,
Lets Learn and Grow!