What do you use to track project issues?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
begeland

I usually use something like an Excel spreadsheet for ongoing documentation and tracking of project issues. What are some of of the tools used by readers here? Special software, obscure methods, etc. Please share.

Brad
laura_techadvice

Hi Begeland-
How big is your company? How many projects do you typically have going at any given time? There are lots of PM software options, but there's not one 'best' solution - it depends on your industry, size, budget, etc. Have you done any research so far? My company TechnologyAdvice has reviews on hundreds of products and will work with you to find the right tool. The service is free if you want to save time. Hope this helps! Good luck in your search.
Jan Godlewski

Hello Brad!

Depending on your business' size I would recommend two project management apps:

- Trello, which is very clear and simple, just perfect for a little company or freelancers to keep projects and task in order. It's kind of big TO DO list, where you can attach files, ascribe workers, create checklist and set the deadlines. There is progression bar in each task to you can see how much is already done. Also you can drag and drop task between categories you firstly create (like: to do, doing, done, ideas, etc...)

- Podio. It's really extensive system to manage big numbers of project among many workers. Here you can create own project apps, and use many many more features than in Trello.

Cheers!
TimeCamp
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find a RAID log most useful for tracking risk, assumptions, issues and dependencies. I use an Excel spreadsheet with a tab per area. My 'secret sauce' is an extra tab for questions. There are usually a lot of unanswered questions, especially at the beginning of a project. I record them on another tab, and assign an owner to find the answer to each one. A low-cost, but effective tool when used on a weekly basis. I've yet to see anything better.

Duncan
GeorgeE

I use MS Project 2010 then copy the information to an Excel report I've made. I can show a progress report, cost reports, cost forecasts and charts for them all in one workbook. Most of it is automated too, so I don't have to spend ages importing data.

George
begeland

Thank you all for the replies...I was curious as to what others were using since my way wasn't necessarily a powerful/reporting type tool...just a spreadsheet. Good answers all. And thanks Laura - I'll look over your site!

Brad