Starting a career in project management?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
adotm

Hi all,

Apologies for the repetitive thread, but I was keen to gain a better understanding here and any advice, guidance or experience you can share will be genuinely appreciated. Having worked in sales and management for a number of years I have toyed with the idea of changing careers and venturing into the world of project management.

I've now made the leap and have recently completed the PRINCE2. Outside of this I have little to no project management experience so I wondered what my next steps should be. From my own research and advice from friends & family it seems my best bet is to apply for a PMO role, but given that I have no experience is it fair to say this is realistic?

I have also recently become a member of the Association of Project Management (APM) and have done so to make my CV more appealing, in your opinions would I have been better to join the Project Management Institute, or is the APM sufficient? Would there be mileage in joining both?

Working in financial sales I intend on making the move into project management within the banking sector, with this in mind are there any other qualifications, memberships or bodies or anything else I should be considering?

Really keen to gain your feedback here and thanks in advance.
begeland

I have a couple of questions. Are you currently employed? And does your organization handle projects - are there active projects, are there individuals working in PM roles, and is there a PMO? If so (although the actual existence of a PMO is not critical to all of this), I would ask whoever seems to oversee projecs and PMs if you can gain some experience by handling some type of supporting role. Ideally that would be assisting the acting PM on an existing project. Any experience is good experience and can go straight to your resume. And when you gain that experience, be bold on you resume (while still being truthful). Just don't downplay the experience...talk about quantitative things like length of project, value $$ of the engagement, any key involvement you had, etc. Once you've stepped in and helped on a couple of these, then take your search outside or push for a PM position in your existing company.

Brad
adotm

Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting. I am currently working, but my role has evolved into an intense sales role restricting my time and placing me under immense pressure to perform, hence the change.

There are ongoing projects within the company, but given my lack of experience most are reluctant to allow me to engage. I’ve asked to shadow and even volunteer my personal time, but this is always met with negative feedback because anytime out of the field hinders me from selling.

Really appreciate your advice, its genuinely appreciated. Would you have any recommendations for other courses or material to consider? Also, have I made the right move registering with the APM?

Thanks in advance,

Andy