ITIL Service Management

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hello,

Is anyone ITIL certified? If so, what type of IT projects do you run and has ITIL benefited your project delivery service?

I am looking at studying ITIL later on in the year and I would like some feedback as to the value it brings to project management. I have read some articles online, but I would also like some real life feedback too please, thanks.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Kit,

I've done the ITIL foundation. It has been useful in helping me understand Service Delivery and allowing me to talk with some degree of authority about IT Service Management. I'd say it's useful, but not essential unless you're going to be working in a Service Delivery or Service Quality role.

Cheers,
Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks Duncan. That is interesting to know. I see ITIL listed as a requirement occasionally on the type of IT networking project jobs which would be of an interest to me in the future.
stonesfan
Expert Member
Expert Member

Currently studying ITIL foundation here too! Have the foundation exam booked next month as an incentive to really get my head down.

To be honest, purely from my own point of view, I think this is the logical step forwards for those working in a 2nd or 3rd line IT support based role, but who want to make the transition into a more Service Delivery or Project managerial role. Have found that I'm already familiar with a reasonable amount of the foundation material where as the Prince2 route was like starting afresh. However, I'm now finding that components of Prince2 are falling into place so to speak.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Who are you studying with for the foundation please? Would you recommend them? Thanks in advance, Kit.
stonesfan
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Kwalford

Very much 'self study' for the foundation exam. This is seen as perfectly acceptable for the foundation where as classroom or at the bare minimum online training for the more advanced stages.

http://www.ilxgroup.com/itil-downloads.asp

That has some nice resources including the process model to get you going.

Also a decent little book geared towards the foundation titled "IT Service Management: A Guide for ITIL Foundation Exam Candidates" by Ernest Brewster.

Theres also apparently practice questions available online although not all agree that these are ethical and some even consider this 'cheating'.

Regards
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Okay, thank you for your help.