What PM problems or difficult tasks drive and motivate you?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
begeland

This is probably an odd question. I thought about it as a read an article on a similar topic somewhere earlier this week. We try to avoid problems/conflict/issues of course, but they seem to happen daily if not weekly on our projects. It's unavoidable....the nature of the beast.

So what problems that come up or difficult tasks that you take on seem to motivate you the most. Which ones make the creative juices flow the most for you?

For me, as difficult as it is, I like to be a go-to guy for a project in turmoil. When a PM gets yanked because they can't get the project over the hump, I like to be the one asked to come in and rescue it. I hate it, too...all at the same time. But there is something that feeds that PM ego when you're asked to try to make something work seemingly against all odds.

Thoughts?

Brad
schander10

A project in chaos because of lack of planning definitely drive and motivate me. I get to understand the causes for the bad planning and utilize my skills and experience to get the project on track. There is also a situation where there is a lot of resource attrition that causes a project delivery to go out of track. Such situations are very common and accepting these as challenge and learning from other people's mistakes is a great opportunity to advance your career.

There are times when the client is not flexible and he/she will want the project to be completed in time at all costs. Working with the client and our own senior management to work out a plan of action is a challenge.
Chander Shankar, PMP
Hilone21

I agree with schander10 of course. What drives me is the challenge to go against all odds and what motivates me is the success. It's not the issues or problems that drives us crazy sometimes but the anger among us. Sometimes I even think to have anger management courses to control it.