Who Writes the Project Scope

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
CTarna

Hi all! Thank you for taking the time to read (and hopefully, respond!)

Simple question, who should write the scope document for a project?

My specifics (I will try to be objective):
  • My company is starting a new project, website rebuild.
  • The IT product team has assigned an owner, someone that will maintain the product once live. The Product Manager.
  • Several other departments will "own" the site, provide content and overall look and feel.
  • The Project Management department (separate from PMO) has assigned a someone to coordinate the redesign effort. The Project Manager.
Both the Product and Project Management teams have PMP certified employees assigned to the roles.

Who owns the privilege of writing the Scope?
Charlie T., PMP
begeland

Generally, those who requested the project and the project team should agree to all terms in the project scope statement before actual project work begins. I think the project manager - even in the case you described - should be the first one to draft or lead the process of drafting the project scope statement. Then it's up to all the key stakeholders you mentioned to agree to that statement. Just my thoughts.

Brad
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

begeland wrote:Generally, those who requested the project and the project team should agree to all terms in the project scope statement before actual project work begins. I think the project manager - even in the case you described - should be the first one to draft or lead the process of drafting the project scope statement. Then it's up to all the key stakeholders you mentioned to agree to that statement. Just my thoughts.

Brad

I concur with Brad.

The PM writes the scope statement but with input from the Sponsor & key stateholders. Then, the sponsor will sign off on the scope statement to approve it before work is commenced.