Learn by doing!

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Danbone

Hello everyone!!

Its been a while but I am back for some advice! So ive applied for promotion after someone on the project has left. I have already done bits of work for this person so thats an advantage however its up to the PM to decide if I am ready or not.

I, like most engineers learn best by doing so yes it would be a challenge but the improvment in my kills and abilities would be much greater than if I were to stay as an assistant.

What are peoples thoughts on learning styles? If this were you deciding would this be factor? would it be worth mentioning?

Thanks
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi there,

Learning by doing is certainly beneficial, but it can certainly be complemented by training and other types of knowledge acquisitions. Ideally, in any work environment having a background prior to being in a real situation certainly helps learn faster and develop quicker. So do not underestimate the power of knowledge. I think a healthy blend of theoretical and practical learning can help you go a long way and make you realise the growth potential that can be achieved over time.

Mohamed Benmerikhi
ellisaparker

yes, i do believe that learning by practically doing some work increases the chances of success. I think if you have interest in your work and the industry you are working in, then it is not hard to learn and take new challenges.